Prophets Inc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Galactus
seven
Nyda
Renya
Ckyle7
Musikaman
RamothsRider
Gregoriouse The Great
Trelane
Frances
Tythus
Merritt
Amethyst
rainshadow
Ambrosia
aammondd
_-Scarlett-_
shadowsiren
Epiphany
Blind Angel
locust
Dinwar
alvspr
Linayus
28 posters

What are you reading?

RamothsRider
    RamothsRider

What are you reading? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you reading?

Post by RamothsRider Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 am

Just finished reading The Painted Man and Desert Spear from the Daylight War trilogy.

Now rereading the Night Angel trilogy as Linayus reminded me how good they were by posting on Facebook.
    Musikaman
    Musikaman

Post by Musikaman Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 am

RamothsRider wrote:Just finished reading The Painted Man and Desert Spear from the Daylight War trilogy.

Now rereading the Night Angel trilogy as Linayus reminded me how good they were by posting on Facebook.
    I just finished up both of those over the last few months. Excellent novels.

I would encourage people to use Goodreads and add friends from here. I have a feeling we share a great deal in the types of books we love.

I'm currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I'd also recommend his Mistborn novels.
    RamothsRider
    RamothsRider

Post by RamothsRider Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Musikaman wrote:
    RamothsRider wrote:Just finished reading The Painted Man and Desert Spear from the Daylight War trilogy.

I just finished up both of those over the last few months. Excellent novels.

I would encourage people to use Goodreads and add friends from here. I have a feeling we share a great deal in the types of books we love.

I'm currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I'd also recommend his Mistborn novels.

Agree with you there, the Mistborn are awesome. Isn't there a new one out soon??
    Musikaman
    Musikaman

Post by Musikaman Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:32 pm

RamothsRider wrote:Agree with you there, the Mistborn are awesome. Isn't there a new one out soon??
    Unsure. I know that the sequel to The Way of Kings is the next to be published... and that he plans on writing more Mistborn novels.
    Ckyle7
    Ckyle7
    Admin

Post by Ckyle7 Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:02 am

Still reading Game of Thrones!

I also really want to pick up The Worst Witch. Just for fun!
    Blind Angel
    Blind Angel

Post by Blind Angel Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 am

Still reading Lover at Last by J. R. Ward. one of my fav books by her
    Renya
    Renya

Post by Renya Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:24 am

Currently reading 'Dagon' by H.P. Lovecraft
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:13 am

Musikaman wrote:I would encourage people to use Goodreads and add friends from here. I have a feeling we share a great deal in the types of books we love.
    Love using Goodreads, mostly so I can keep track of books that are recommended to me, or catch my eye.
    Nyda
    Nyda

Post by Nyda Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Stuck in that awkward phase of waiting for the next installments of my currents series (namely Rothfuss' 'Kingkiller Chronicles,' Sanderson's 'Stormlight Archives,' and Britain's 'Green Rider').

After being monumentally impressed by Sanderson's 'Way of Kings,' I've decided to give his Mistborn Trilogy a shot - most reviews I've found have lauded it as excellent; if they're anywhere near as good as 'Way of Kings,' I'm sure I'll love them.

Any other suggestions along a similar vein? I expect a trilogy will last me no more than two weeks (I devour books), so I'll need a fair number of new options to tide me over until May.
    seven
    seven

Post by seven Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Currently reading Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett
    Musikaman
    Musikaman

Post by Musikaman Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Nyda wrote:After being monumentally impressed by Sanderson's 'Way of Kings,' I've decided to give his Mistborn Trilogy a shot - most reviews I've found have lauded it as excellent; if they're anywhere near as good as 'Way of Kings,' I'm sure I'll love them.
    I'm about 20% completed with The Way of Kings. So far I enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy far more.
    Nyda wrote:Any other suggestions along a similar vein? I expect a trilogy will last me no more than two weeks (I devour books), so I'll need a fair number of new options to tide me over until May.
    High Fantasy
    Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
    Fools Gold Trilogy - Jude Fisher
    Lightbringer Trilogy - Brent Weeks
    Demon Cycle - Peter V Brett
    The Riftwar Saga - Raymond E. Feist - Great books, wholly worthy, however you need to read them to read:
    The Empire Trilogy - Raymand E. Feist and Janny Wurts - These books are friggin' awesome!
    Symphony of Ages - Elizabeth Haydon - A word of caution to this tale! If Hercules figh.... err I mean, she hasn't written a book in this series in years and kinda left it haging.

Urban Fantasy
    The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
    The Hollows - Kim Harrison
    Mercy Thompson - Patricia Briggs
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 am

Nyda wrote:Stuck in that awkward phase of waiting for the next installments of my currents series (namely Rothfuss' 'Kingkiller Chronicles,' Sanderson's 'Stormlight Archives,' and Britain's 'Green Rider').
    Ugh, Blackveil just came out last year, so we probably have to wait another 5 years before the next book. She certainly takes her time.
    Nyda
    Nyda

Post by Nyda Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 am

Actually she confirmed recently that she's already finished #5, Mirror Sight, and is working on minor edits following consultation with her publisher. It will be released May 2014!
    Blind Angel
    Blind Angel

Post by Blind Angel Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Rereading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. A classic retelling of The Iliad told from Patroclus's POV.
    Dinwar

Post by Dinwar Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Re-reading Atlas Shrugged. I've always liked Hank Rearden.

Recently I've also been getting into the Conan stories. They're surprisingly sophisticated. I hate the philosophy (basically, barbarism and brutality are the proper way for humans to live), but the stories are a lot of fun.
    Trelane
    Trelane

Post by Trelane Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm currently re-reading 1633 by what's-his-name (alternative history, second book in the series, coal-mining town from w. virginia gets transported back to the middle of the 30 years war) and the eye of the world by that other fella.
    aammondd
    aammondd

Post by aammondd Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:02 am

Dinwar wrote:Re-reading Atlas Shrugged. I've always liked Hank Rearden.

Recently I've also been getting into the Conan stories. They're surprisingly sophisticated. I hate the philosophy (basically, barbarism and brutality are the proper way for humans to live), but the stories are a lot of fun.
    I always found the first third of the book a little flat and difficult to get through. But its worth the slug.
    Dinwar

Post by Dinwar Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 pm

aammondd wrote:I always found  the first third of the book a little flat and difficult to get through. But its worth the slug.
    Yeah, the John Galt Line story arc isn't the most engaging literature. That said, I fully understand why she had to include it. She had to show the greatness of Hank and Dagny, rather than just saying it.

If you enjoy the book, Dr. Diana Hsieh has a series of podcasts discussing the book (Reading Atlas Shrugged, on Noodlefood). They're not as complete as I'd like (I think she glosses over some parts that I think are pretty significant), but over all they're really interesting. Honestly, I wish someone would do the same for Faith of the Fallen.
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 am

Nyda wrote:Actually she confirmed recently that she's already finished #5, Mirror Sight, and is working on minor edits following consultation with her publisher. It will be released May 2014!
    Yay! I don't have to wait forever!

Just started reading Gulp: The Adventures of the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach. Its all about the digestive system and everything it entails. Its pretty funny so far, right now I'm still on smelling food. I really like how it has very interesting trivia, for instance she was talking about the importance of smell and humans with their ability to eat food. NASA was trying to think of a way to reduce food weight for a voyage to Mars, and the result ending in vomit and people unable to swallow.
    shadowsiren
    shadowsiren

Post by shadowsiren Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:19 pm

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It is taking me a depressingly long time to read this (lack of time!) but I am enjoying it quite a bit.

Nyda wrote:Stuck in that awkward phase of waiting for the next installments of my currents series (namely Rothfuss' 'Kingkiller Chronicles,' Sanderson's 'Stormlight Archives,' and Britain's 'Green Rider').
    I first read Green Rider in 2003. OMG. THE. WAITING.  I think I've waited more for her than for any other author...

Nyda wrote:After being monumentally impressed by Sanderson's 'Way of Kings,' I've decided to give his Mistborn Trilogy a shot - most reviews I've found have lauded it as excellent; if they're anywhere near as good as 'Way of Kings,' I'm sure I'll love them.
    I <3 pretty much everything Sanderson writes. Well, his adult books... I haven't bothered to read any of the YA he's written. But still.  Loved WOK and loved the Mistborn trilogy. The man has a gift.

Nyda wrote:Any other suggestions along a similar vein? I expect a trilogy will last me no more than two weeks (I devour books), so I'll need a fair number of new options to tide me over until May.
    In addition to the ones that Musikaman recommended I'd add:

By Robin Hobb (I'd read in this order):
    The Farseer Trilogy
    The Liveship Trilogy
    The Tawny Man Trilogy
    The Rain Wilds Chronicles

Her unrelated series (Soldier's Son Trilogy) is good but not nearly as good as the above books.

By Sara Douglass:
    unrelated books...
    Troy Game series
    Crucible series
    The Devil's Diadem

related:
    The Wayfarer Redemption series (in the US it's one series, elsewhere it is two trilogies The Axis trilogy and the Wayfarer Redemption trilogy)
    Threshold (my personal favorite)
    Beyond the Hanging Wall
    Darkglass Mountain trilogy (make sure you read all of the above "related" books first!)

Gah, I had other recommendations but my brain seems to have slipped into "mommy brain needs sleep" stage and I can't remember what they are...

EDIT:
    Remembered another while folding laundry :p
    Jennifer Roberson:
    Chronicles of the Cheysuli
    Sword-Dancer Saga
    Karavans (currently 3 books)

Musikaman wrote:
    Symphony of Ages - Elizabeth Haydon - A word of caution to this tale! If Hercules figh.... err I mean, she hasn't written a book in this series in years and kinda left it haging.
    I cannot even begin to describe how bitter I am over the lack of new book.  Achmed makes my "Top 10 Favorite Characters" list and dang it, I want to know what happens!
    Linayus
    Linayus

Post by Linayus Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm going to support several suggestions that were already presented... and maybe add a few more.

Brent Weeks
    The Night Angel trilogy
    I loved this trilogy! I read it all (and having been out of my reading habit for quite a while, this trilogy was just what I needed to spark that fire again) and once finished I immediately started listening to the audiobooks at work. I'm nearly done with it again and I still love it. Seriously hoping the Lightbringer series is just as good!

Sara Douglass
    The Troy Game
    Admittedly, I picked this up because the cover art caught my eye (Greek outfits) but it was actually quite good. The way the story is woven together and how the characters all interact over the whole series is amazing.

Wayfarer Redemption
    I grabbed this series for two reasons - I had already read the above series and my buddy had read these and enjoyed them enough that he started writing a similar story. lol The first 3 books are great and the following 3 were good though not quite up to speed.

Elizabeth Haydon
    The Symphony of Ages - Like the above Wayfarer Redemption series, the first 3 books are excellent while the second 3 are good but a totally different speed. I actually never finished "The Assassin King" so I guess I'll have to get back to it one of these days. lol

Jim Butcher
    The Dresden Files - I can't rave about this series enough! Give it a few books to get rolling and you'll never look back!

Codex Alera - haven't started this series myself but I'm told it's also very good. If it's anything like Dresden then I'm sure I'll love it.

Rick Riordan
    Percy Jackson and the Olympians - if you enjoyed Harry Potter and you like Greek mythology then you will love this series. The movies don't do it justice at all!

The Heroes of Olympus - read this AFTER you finish Percy Jackson. It's just as good and events there take place after Percy Jackson.

EDIT: I thought of a couple of extras that are actually stand alone novels that are worth everyone's time.

Guy Gavriel Kay
    Tigana - Beautiful and heartbreaking.. one of the few books I absolutely loved and was devastated at the ending. But please don't let that deter you as it is truly enjoyable!

A Song for Arbonne - Another wonderful story with a little more to celebrate and the end! lol

Last edited by Linayus on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Musikaman
    Musikaman

Post by Musikaman Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:09 pm

I tried, I really tried to like Percy Jackson, but I think it's one of those rare few occasions where the movie is better than the book... and that's really saying something.
    Linayus
    Linayus

Post by Linayus Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Musikaman wrote:I tried, I really tried to like Percy Jackson, but I think it's one of those rare few occasions where the movie is better than the book... and that's really saying something.
    This makes me sad.. Sad  I was really disappointed in the movies (like most book-to-movie adaptations).
    Galactus
    Galactus

Post by Galactus Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:20 pm

After finishing the Third Kingdom I started in on two different series. The Joe Pitt case books, by Charlie Huston (who I found through his run on Marvel Comics' Moon Knight back in 2006) First book is called Already Dead, and while it's a break from what I normally read, I am enjoying it. The other series I'm trying is Mr. King's Magnum Opus. The Dark Tower books. Book one, the Gunslinger. I'm not very far in to that one, but I can already find myself picking out things about Stephen King's writing style that irk me. I'm told it's a great series, and gets better as it goes along, so I'm sure I'll manage to power through it and start to enjoy it. After all, I made it to the enjoyable parts of the Wheel of Time.
    aammondd
    aammondd

Post by aammondd Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:20 am

I am reading "The Liberty Amendments" by Mark Levin. Political book but very interesting history of the constitutional debates and state ratification conventions. Not sure I agree with all the proposed new amendments but the do agree with the general tenant that the federal government has slipped the constitutions restraints of enumerated powers.

Interlaced with that I'm trying to reread Belgarath the Sorcerer again.

After that I'll probably be reading a bunch of non fiction stuff I have a bunch of reality based interests to catch up on. Gardening,Emergency Survival,Genealogy,Political Campaigns, Website design, etc. I also have a couple of Kickstarter ideas rattling in my brain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:49 am