What are you reading?

    Share
    avatar
    Blind Angel

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2013-08-26
    Age : 28
    Location : Prattville, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Blind Angel on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:29 am

    Linayus wrote:
    Musikaman wrote:I tried, I really tried to like Percy Jackson, but I think it's one of those rare few occasions where the movie is better than the book... and that's really saying something.
    This makes me sad.. Sad  I was really disappointed in the movies (like most book-to-movie adaptations).
    I know! The movies just pissed me off. Especially the 2nd one. When they used a line of the prophecy waaaay out of context. grrr. It's rare if I like a movie adaptation of a book.
    avatar
    _-Scarlett-_

    Posts : 62
    Join date : 2013-08-27
    Location : Lost in a book

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by _-Scarlett-_ on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:29 am

    Another recommendation:

    This series is actually Science Fiction. I don't normally read science fiction, but my husband got the 1st book in this series for free so I decided to give it a go. If you like Battlestar Galactic I think you'd really like it, but its not really the same.

    The series is called Safehold by David Weber. The first book is Off Armageddon Reach. The basis of the books is that humankind is almost hunted to extinction by an alien race. As a last effort for survival they sent a ship into space for 10 years. During those 10 years almost everyone on the ship has their memory erased and programmed. They colonize a world and are programmed to believe a specific religion with a fear of technology (as that would attract the aliens). There's a fight amongst those not programmed about how to go about repopulating the human race, and they kill each other off, except for one (an android with a human's memories implanted). 900 years later she wakes up and tries to initiate the reintroduction of technology. This sets off a holy war. The books are then about this battle (I think eventually the aliens will have to come back (I'm only 4 books into the series).

    This series, I believe, has a really good narrative about how people can be easily brain-washed into believing anything. There are parts that can get bogged down in technical aspects, but I really enjoy it.
    avatar
    Linayus

    Posts : 70
    Join date : 2013-08-25
    Age : 34
    Location : Mobile, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Linayus on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 pm

    Blind Angel wrote:I know! The movies just pissed me off. Especially the 2nd one. When they used a line of the prophecy waaaay out of context. grrr. It's rare if I like a movie adaptation of a book.
    I can still "enjoy" the movies.. and I really like the actors they chose... but yeah, they really screw with some of the core of the series. Very irritating!
    avatar
    Linayus

    Posts : 70
    Join date : 2013-08-25
    Age : 34
    Location : Mobile, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Linayus on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 pm

    Galactus wrote:The other series I'm trying is Mr. King's Magnum Opus.  The Dark Tower books.  Book one, the Gunslinger.  I'm not very far in to that one, but I can already find myself picking out things about Stephen King's writing style that irk me.  I'm told it's a great series, and gets better as it goes along, so I'm sure I'll manage to power through it and start to enjoy it.  After all, I made it to the enjoyable parts of the Wheel of Time.  
    The first book is definitely a stretch to enjoy. But I concur, the series gets better and better each book. The 4th book, by far, has been my favorite. I'm on the 5th now and it's pretty good too. I'm told the ending will piss me off, but I'll just have to find that out myself. Wink
    avatar
    Blind Angel

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2013-08-26
    Age : 28
    Location : Prattville, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Blind Angel on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:41 am

    Linayus wrote:
    Blind Angel wrote:I know! The movies just pissed me off. Especially the 2nd one. When they used a line of the prophecy waaaay out of context. grrr. It's rare if I like a movie adaptation of a book.
    I can still "enjoy" the movies.. and I really like the actors they chose... but yeah, they really screw with some of the core of the series. Very irritating!
    Yeah,they did get some good actors. I personally do like logan lerman-seen him in other movies and he's pretty good.
    avatar
    Blind Angel

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2013-08-26
    Age : 28
    Location : Prattville, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Blind Angel on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:44 am

    And as for what I'm reading now-the 2nd book in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead and Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones
    avatar
    shadowsiren

    Posts : 24
    Join date : 2013-08-27
    Location : Arkansas

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by shadowsiren on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:53 am

    Got some reading time in over the weekend and finished American Gods. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit... I was a bit skeptical going into it after being a bit disappointed with Stardust (that's my "like the movie more than the book" incident) but my faith in geekdom (with the consistent "Have you read Neil Gaiman?" recommendations) has been restored.

    Next up... I promised my DH I'd read the newest Dirk Pitt book by Clive Cussler (Poseidon's Arrow) next so that he can discuss it with me. Likewise I have "bullied" him into reading Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear.

    avatar
    talonnolan

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2013-08-26

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by talonnolan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:22 pm

    Hey, I can post in here. I'm reading again. For some reason it has been a while.

    Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
    avatar
    Linayus

    Posts : 70
    Join date : 2013-08-25
    Age : 34
    Location : Mobile, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Linayus on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:30 pm

    We must convince the world to read The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear!!!
    avatar
    Musikaman

    Posts : 161
    Join date : 2013-08-31

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Musikaman on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:40 pm

    Who needs to be convinced?
    avatar
    seven

    Posts : 37
    Join date : 2013-09-06
    Location : CA

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by seven on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:59 pm

    Linayus wrote:We must convince the world to read The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear!!!
    I have those on my kindle and I really really want to read them....but I am hesitant to read them now because apparently it may be quite some time before he finishes the series.  I didn't want to be in the Song of Ice and Fire situation.  Frankly, I will have to start all over again on that series once Martin finishes it, as I read the first 3 books when they first came out.
    avatar
    Musikaman

    Posts : 161
    Join date : 2013-08-31

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Musikaman on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:36 am

    seven wrote:I have those on my kindle and I really really want to read them....but I am hesitant to read them now because apparently it may be quite some time before he finishes the series.  I didn't want to be in the Song of Ice and Fire situation.  Frankly, I will have to start all over again on that series once Martin finishes it, as I read the first 3 books when they first came out.


    Man, if I read like that I'd never get any reading done. I'm currently reading around a dozen series that aren't completed yet.
    avatar
    Linayus

    Posts : 70
    Join date : 2013-08-25
    Age : 34
    Location : Mobile, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Linayus on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:40 pm

    seven wrote:
    Linayus wrote:We must convince the world to read The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear!!!
    I have those on my kindle and I really really want to read them....but I am hesitant to read them now because apparently it may be quite some time before he finishes the series.  I didn't want to be in the Song of Ice and Fire situation.  Frankly, I will have to start all over again on that series once Martin finishes it, as I read the first 3 books when they first came out.
    I don't think it'll take him too long. He had the story written a while back but he's since gone back and added a lot of good stuff to it. It's probably just a matter of making sure he's not over-stuffing it and keeping the story contained to itself.
    avatar
    seven

    Posts : 37
    Join date : 2013-09-06
    Location : CA

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by seven on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 pm

    Musikaman wrote:
    seven wrote:I have those on my kindle and I really really want to read them....but I am hesitant to read them now because apparently it may be quite some time before he finishes the series.  I didn't want to be in the Song of Ice and Fire situation.  Frankly, I will have to start all over again on that series once Martin finishes it, as I read the first 3 books when they first came out.
    Man, if I read like that I'd never get any reading done. I'm currently reading around a dozen series that aren't completed yet.
    Yeah I am too.  Take the Foreigner series by C.J. Cherryh.   I have been reading that one since 1994.  Thing is though, she puts out a new installment to the series every year, just about.  
    Martin, however, is another story. Now the first Song of Ice and Fire book came out in 1996, followed by books 2 & 3 in 1998 and 2000.  Then we waited 5 years for the next and then another 6 years for the last one.  There are 2 more in the works.  I really hope I live long enough to see the end.
    Patrick Rothfuss published his first book that I mentioned in 2009 and the second one came out this year, 2013.  So 4 years.....just a little worried about that.  

    Musickaman...Don't you sometimes have a hard time remember specifics about books if there is a long time between publishing dates, particularly if there a ton of characters in the book?
    avatar
    seven

    Posts : 37
    Join date : 2013-09-06
    Location : CA

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by seven on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:54 pm

    Linayus wrote:
    seven wrote:
    Linayus wrote:We must convince the world to read The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear!!!
    I have those on my kindle and I really really want to read them....but I am hesitant to read them now because apparently it may be quite some time before he finishes the series.  I didn't want to be in the Song of Ice and Fire situation.  Frankly, I will have to start all over again on that series once Martin finishes it, as I read the first 3 books when they first came out.
    I don't think it'll take him too long. He had the story written a while back but he's since gone back and added a lot of good stuff to it. It's probably just a matter of making sure he's not over-stuffing it and keeping the story contained to itself.
    Good to know. I was looking at his website a while back and it seemed like he was saying he didn't want to rush it. I think I will have to move it up on my reading list. Maybe after I finish the 1000 pager I am reading now.
    avatar
    Linayus

    Posts : 70
    Join date : 2013-08-25
    Age : 34
    Location : Mobile, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Linayus on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:54 pm

    Well I finished up Wolves of the Calla today so I've started on Song of Susannah. Getting ever so closer to the end!
    avatar
    Confessor Kahlan

    Posts : 6
    Join date : 2013-08-25
    Location : On a small, rocky planet hurtling through the suburbs of a barred spiral galaxy

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Confessor Kahlan on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:27 pm

    Well, at the moment, I'm reading the October issue of BBC History magazine. However, as soon as I finish it (tomorrow most likely), I'll finally make a start reading 'The Way of Kings' by Brandon Sanderson. Smile 
    avatar
    Blind Angel

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2013-08-26
    Age : 28
    Location : Prattville, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Blind Angel on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:30 pm

    Reading the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Read
    avatar
    RamothsRider

    Posts : 23
    Join date : 2013-08-25
    Age : 48
    Location : Bristol, UK

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by RamothsRider on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:03 pm

    Rereading demon war saga by Raymond e feist in preparation for chaoswar saga
    avatar
    aammondd

    Posts : 93
    Join date : 2013-08-26
    Age : 50
    Location : Antioch Ca

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by aammondd on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:46 pm

    Seven wrote:Musickaman...Don't you sometimes have a hard time remember specifics about books if there is a long time between publishing dates, particularly if there a ton of characters in the book?
    If its been a while I reread the series. Of course I own all the books for those im interested in so it makes it easier.
    avatar
    Musikaman

    Posts : 161
    Join date : 2013-08-31

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Musikaman on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:14 pm

    seven wrote:Musickaman...Don't you sometimes have a hard time remember specifics about books if there is a long time between publishing dates, particularly if there a ton of characters in the book?
    I rarely have this problem. Very very rarely.
    avatar
    seven

    Posts : 37
    Join date : 2013-09-06
    Location : CA

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by seven on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:18 pm

    Musikaman wrote:
    seven wrote:Musickaman...Don't you sometimes have a hard time remember specifics about books if there is a long time between publishing dates, particularly if there a ton of characters in the book?
    I rarely have this problem. Very very rarely.
    I wish I could say that.
    I think my brain is like Swiss cheese....too much multitasking.
    avatar
    Linayus

    Posts : 70
    Join date : 2013-08-25
    Age : 34
    Location : Mobile, AL

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Linayus on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:23 pm

    Finally started on 'The Dark Tower' (final book in the series!).. it's 1000 pages in paperback so it's quite a book. But it's started off with a bang so I'm excited to read more. Smile
    avatar
    rainshadow
    Admin

    Posts : 182
    Join date : 2013-08-24
    Age : 37
    Location : NW Kansas

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by rainshadow on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 am

    Linayus wrote:
    seven wrote:
    Linayus wrote:We must convince the world to read The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear!!!
    I have those on my kindle and I really really want to read them....but I am hesitant to read them now because apparently it may be quite some time before he finishes the series.  I didn't want to be in the Song of Ice and Fire situation.  Frankly, I will have to start all over again on that series once Martin finishes it, as I read the first 3 books when they first came out.
    I don't think it'll take him too long. He had the story written a while back but he's since gone back and added a lot of good stuff to it. It's probably just a matter of making sure he's not over-stuffing it and keeping the story contained to itself.
    Saw Pat at Comic-Con three years ago just before Wise Man's Fear came out. He said at the panel he was sitting on that the rewrites are actually a longer process than starting from scratch, because he was constantly having to check through the entire series in order to ensure he had continuity throughout, a much longer process than he ever expected. I suspect it's getting even more critical that he checks for continuity the closer he gets to completion.


    _________________
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain. Anonymous

    We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it. PyroMancer
    avatar
    _-Scarlett-_

    Posts : 62
    Join date : 2013-08-27
    Location : Lost in a book

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by _-Scarlett-_ on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 am

    Just started reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory.

    Sponsored content

    Re: What are you reading?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 am