Prophets Inc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Galactus
seven
Nyda
Renya
Ckyle7
Musikaman
RamothsRider
Gregoriouse The Great
Trelane
Frances
Tythus
Merritt
Amethyst
rainshadow
Ambrosia
aammondd
_-Scarlett-_
shadowsiren
Epiphany
Blind Angel
locust
Dinwar
alvspr
Linayus
28 posters

What are you reading?

Linayus
    Linayus

What are you reading? - Page 4 Empty Re: What are you reading?

Post by Linayus Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:42 pm

rainshadow wrote:Saw Pat at Comic-Con three years ago just before Wise Man's Fear came out. He said at the panel he was sitting on that the rewrites are actually a longer process than starting from scratch, because he was constantly having to check through the entire series in order to ensure he had continuity throughout, a much longer process than he ever expected. I suspect it's getting even more critical that he checks for continuity the closer he gets to completion.
    C'mon Pat! You can do it!! lol
    DuDZiK
    DuDZiK

Post by DuDZiK Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 am

seven wrote:Martin, however, is another story. Now the first Song of Ice and Fire book came out in 1996, followed by books 2 & 3 in 1998 and 2000.  Then we waited 5 years for the next and then another 6 years for the last one.  There are 2 more in the works.  I really hope I live long enough to see the end.
    Patrick Rothfuss published his first book that I mentioned in 2009 and the second one came out this year, 2013.  So 4 years.....just a little worried about that.  
    Wise Man's Fear came out in 2011, not 2013 (unless you live in a country where it wasn't released until later?). And Name of the Wind was out in 2007. So still a four year difference, but we're going into year three so not much longer. Wink

It also helps that this will be a trilogy, so the Doors of Stone (I think that's what the third book will be called) will be the last in the series.
    DuDZiK
    DuDZiK

Post by DuDZiK Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:43 am

Musikaman wrote:
    RamothsRider wrote:Agree with you there, the Mistborn are awesome. Isn't there a new one out soon??
    Unsure. I know that the sequel to The Way of Kings is the next to be published... and that he plans on writing more Mistborn novels.
    Sanderson has said he will publish three trilogies in the Mistborn world, counting the first one already published, each set in different time periods.

He's already started one in an industrial revolution/western type of society with Alloy of Law. It's a fun read, but lacks the punch Mistborn had. Weirdly this trilogy isn't included in the three he said he'd write... he just worked on it for fun, then realized it was good and he should publish it. Fucking genius... I hate and love him for it. Razz

The next trilogy is supposed to be about a SWAT-like team of magic users, the third is supposed to be in a futuristic sci-fi setting.

The next Stormlight Archive book is due to come out March 4th, it's called Words of Radiance.
    Musikaman
    Musikaman

Post by Musikaman Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:31 pm

DuDZiK wrote:It also helps that this will be a trilogy, so the Doors of Stone (I think that's what the third book will be called) will be the last in the series.
    I have some mighty doubts as to whether or not this is going to end the story. I mean, it's possible certainly, but I have a feeling the end is the beginning.
    DuDZiK
    DuDZiK

Post by DuDZiK Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:11 pm

The trilogy will end Kvothe's retelling his life's story (to that point). Rothfuss has already signed a deal for a new trilogy, and lots of rumours say that it will pick up his story AFTER he finishes telling his story to the Chronicler.
    rainshadow
    rainshadow
    Admin

Post by rainshadow Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:44 pm

DuDZiK wrote:
    Musikaman wrote:
    RamothsRider wrote:Agree with you there, the Mistborn are awesome. Isn't there a new one out soon??
    Unsure. I know that the sequel to The Way of Kings is the next to be published... and that he plans on writing more Mistborn novels.
    Sanderson has said he will publish three trilogies in the Mistborn world, counting the first one already published, each set in different time periods.

He's already started one in an industrial revolution/western type of society with Alloy of Law. It's a fun read, but lacks the punch Mistborn had. Weirdly this trilogy isn't included in the three he said he'd write... he just worked on it for fun, then realized it was good and he should publish it. Fucking genius... I hate and love him for it. Razz

The next trilogy is supposed to be about a SWAT-like team of magic users, the third is supposed to be in a futuristic sci-fi setting.

The next Stormlight Archive book is due to come out March 4th, it's called Words of Radiance.
    Here's a guy who has SO much going on it's crazy. He's got his Mistborn trilogies, the Stormlight saga, and though I haven't read it yet, I imagine Steelheart is just the beginning of either a trilogy or a longer series. You could almost say that completing the Wheel of Time was just a bump in the road for him. The only author I can think of that churns out more is James Patterson, and Patterson seems to co-write a lot of his stories with other authors.
    talonnolan
    talonnolan

Post by talonnolan Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:04 am

Sanderson has a ton going on. Here's his latest "what's going on with brandon" blog.

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson/
    Linayus
    Linayus

Post by Linayus Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:32 pm

DuDZiK wrote:The trilogy will end Kvothe's retelling his life's story (to that point). Rothfuss has already signed a deal for a new trilogy, and lots of rumours say that it will pick up his story AFTER he finishes telling his story to the Chronicler.
    This is probably the best thing I've heard all day. I knew there was no way the whole story was done. Even the retelling of his own story seemed like it was still far from over for just one book to contain.
    RamothsRider
    RamothsRider

Post by RamothsRider Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:37 am

Just finished the second book of chaoswar saga and omg what a cliffhanger and twist!!! Can't wait for last book to see if what I read is somehow an evil trick on us poor readers!
    shadowsiren
    shadowsiren

Post by shadowsiren Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:04 pm

The Wild Road by Jennifer Roberson is up next, mainly because it is a library book and I don't want to have to renew it again. Will probably reread The Golden Compass after that... it has been a few years and I'm kind of "missing" it lately.
    DuDZiK
    DuDZiK

Post by DuDZiK Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Currently reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and I'm quite liking it so far. The main POV is current day, with little tales throughout history that pertain to the life of the book that is the center of the story (it's a jewish Haggadah (sp?) that's being examined by a current day manuscript expert.

It's not fantasy, but it's a good book. Wink
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:53 pm

DuDZiK wrote:Currently reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and I'm quite liking it so far. The main POV is current day, with little tales throughout history that pertain to the life of the book that is the center of the story (it's a jewish Haggadah (sp?) that's being examined by a current day manuscript expert.

It's not fantasy, but it's a good book. Wink
    Just read that a little while ago. Great book, kinda gets super depressing in the middle, but I recommend highly.

[sidenote] Jewish words use the Hebrew alphabet, so as long as you spell something phonetically, you're spelling it correct.[/sidenote]
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:59 am

Just started reading Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson (same guy who wrote What Dreams May Come and I am Legend). I first saw the movie, which my late Aunt introduced me to, and which I love. I think when I first started reading all I could think of was her, so it made me read with rose-colored glasses, but now I just kinda want to slap the protagonist and tell him to man up. We'll see how it goes...
    Linayus
    Linayus

Post by Linayus Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm still reading 'The Dark Tower'.. I've been busy lately with little time to read. And when I do get time, I veg out instead. lol
    rainshadow
    rainshadow
    Admin

Post by rainshadow Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 am

Linayus wrote:
    DuDZiK wrote:The trilogy will end Kvothe's retelling his life's story (to that point). Rothfuss has already signed a deal for a new trilogy, and lots of rumours say that it will pick up his story AFTER he finishes telling his story to the Chronicler.
    This is probably the best thing I've heard all day. I knew there was no way the whole story was done. Even the retelling of his own story seemed like it was still far from over for just one book to contain.
    You know what would be crazy? The sequel could take place during a three day period a few decades down the road, and involve a three-day telling of his story following the point where the original trilogy took off. Wink
    Linayus
    Linayus

Post by Linayus Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 am

rainshadow wrote:
    Linayus wrote:
    You know what would be crazy? The sequel could take place during a three day period a few decades down the road, and involve a three-day telling of his story following the point where the original trilogy took off. Wink
    That would be torture. lol
    Amethyst
    Amethyst

Post by Amethyst Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Summer Knight - Jim Butcher
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 am

Finished Somewhere in Time (now I have to watch the movie and compare) and just started Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Don't really know what its about yet.
    Mistress Cara
    Mistress Cara

Post by Mistress Cara Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:22 am

Jude Deveraux - Forever

It's a witch type book with good and evil
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:23 am

Things Fall Apart was about a Guy in Africa (not sure where since it didn't use current place names).  It starts with how life was and then at the end white missionaries come and change everything.

Now I'm reading Broken For You by Stephanie Kallos.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm