Prophets Inc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
shadowsiren
Zedd
seek14
Epiphany
alvspr
Mistress Cara
Linayus
rainshadow
Gregoriouse The Great
13 posters

How did you first come across SoT?

Gregoriouse The Great
    Gregoriouse The Great
    Admin

How did you first come across SoT? Empty How did you first come across SoT?

Post by Gregoriouse The Great Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:53 am

I was working in a library were I was working on the task of labeling all the paper backs. I came across this book with this dragon and gave it an hour or two. Later I found the second book there too which of course had the binding pushing out like they all do because they are huge compared to the other books (all of you with a stone of tears paper back know what I'm talking about!). Soon I found a forum on my old 2 gig 98 Pentium 1. Hosted by net zero which I stole by manually dialing up (free unrestricted internet!). Then I... did what any 16-19 year old geek would do... I met a girl flew across the boundary country and she became my wife. Remember this the next time you label a book!
    rainshadow
    rainshadow
    Admin

How did you first come across SoT? Empty Re: How did you first come across SoT?

Post by rainshadow Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Funny story (though you might have already read this on the PI Facebook page)...

For those of you who like rainshadow's little side stories, this is a doozy.

It just occurred to me, as I was talking to Gregory, that I have been misinforming people as to the nature of my "relationship" with the Sword of Truth series for years, long before I ever set foot inside an online Terry Goodkind forum, of any nature.

If memory serves, I don't think I have ever told anyone on PI about this because for some reason the memory only just came to me a few minutes ago... but I picked up WFR because I'd seen a picture of it in a Book Club I'd joined.

However... it wasn't the dragon, as I'd been telling people for years now, that caught my attention. Oh no, it wasn't the dragon.

It intrigued me because as a young, adolescent boy the "Mature Content" listing grabbed my attention. Yep, those two little words that mean so much when you bring them together like a big giant R or M in a tiny box or even everybody's favorite little combination of letters and numbers connected by a hyphen, the dreaded NC-17.

Amazing the little details that come to you when you'd forgotten them for years...
    Linayus
    Linayus

Post by Linayus Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:06 pm

I had seen WFR several times while perusing the shelves at Books-a-Million and B&N. The dragon does catch the eye, even if Terry didn't want it on the cover. But after finding my love of long epic fantasy series (after reading the Wheel of Time), I was honestly just looking for another long series to keep my attention. So finally, I saw WFR (in the 3-pack) and grabbed it. One of the best choices I've made!
    Mistress Cara
    Mistress Cara

Post by Mistress Cara Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:37 pm

My grandmother actually bought me WFR and at the time I was more into romance than anything so for a year it sat under my bed lol. Then one day I ran out of things to read and pulled it from under the bed and started reading. That was it I couldn't put it down ad soon as I finished the first book I was in the store getting the next one. After every book the same thing. I didn't put the series down until I was done with the series . Except for the last 2 books which was torture when I had to wait for them to come out.
    Gregoriouse The Great
    Gregoriouse The Great
    Admin

Post by Gregoriouse The Great Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:43 pm

From romance to Sot, why doesn't that surprise me.
    rainshadow
    rainshadow
    Admin

Post by rainshadow Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Frankly the romance in SOT is more genuine and visceral, making it, IMO, much more romantic than any romance. Smile
    Mistress Cara
    Mistress Cara

Post by Mistress Cara Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:55 pm

I think so too lol hence the reason why romances are boring to me now they don't have enough action and killing and what not lmao
    Gregoriouse The Great
    Gregoriouse The Great
    Admin

Post by Gregoriouse The Great Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:01 pm

They should have romance novels where 2/3 of the main characters get slashed by warriors randomly in the middle of the books.
    Mistress Cara
    Mistress Cara

Post by Mistress Cara Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:53 pm

Oh i rather like that idea lol
    alvspr
    alvspr

Post by alvspr Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:03 am

My friend lent WFR to me and after a week of it sitting on my bedside table I decided to pick it up and read it. I didn't start straight away simply because of the cover.
    Epiphany
    Epiphany

Post by Epiphany Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:49 pm

I had just finished reading Harry Potter for the tenth time and was looking for something new to read. I found Wizard's First Rule in a bargin bin at a local book store and thought it looked interesting, it had wizards in it so I bought it. It turned out to be so much better then just another book about a wizard.
    seek14
    seek14

Post by seek14 Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:23 pm

i was in sixth grade and had been reading the Dragonriders of Pern series. (dont judge me) my mum and dad asked me what i would like for christmas so i told them that i wanted the dragon riders books any would do. my dad being the military guy that he was didnt want to pander to my &quote, "weird geeky interests" so my mother asked me in secret how she would know which books to buy. i told her just buy books with dragons on the cover that should do..(i was young and didnt realize how many books had dragons on the cover)

christmas rolls around and i unwrap my presents to find a few Pern books and one random book with a red dragon on the cover, yup you guessed it WFR. i realized this wasn't what i wanted so i figured id give it a try, read the synopsis and was even more wary because wizards and stuff sounded wayyyy to nerdy for me. (oh the irony is not lost on me) so i read the first few pages and just couldnt get into it, so it gets put on my bookshelf. now you find me two years later grounded for getting in fights in school looking over my books and realizing that i hadnt read this one yet. i sit down and i finished it in one sitting. later that day i have my mom take me to the library and borrow SOT and BOTF and use my allowance to order all the books that were out to date. then ended up waiting for POC to come out. i then forced WFR on all my friends so that i would have people to talk to the books about. thats my story.

Last edited by seek14 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Zedd
    Zedd

Post by Zedd Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Saw Terry in 94 when WFR first came out. He was at the NY Ren Faire in Tuxedo NY. He was in gard. The had him in a gazebo with his books all set up. He was selling and signing books.

I walked past him..looked at my friend and said "who the hell is this guy"

Two months later I bought the book with extra b-day cash. Then I realized I could have had a signed copy.

That was my first experience with Terry. He got a huge laugh when I first told him that story.
    Gregoriouse The Great
    Gregoriouse The Great
    Admin

Post by Gregoriouse The Great Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Zedd wrote:Saw Terry in 94 when WFR first came out. He was at the NY Ren Faire in Tuxedo NY. He was in gard. The had him in a gazebo with his books all set up. He was selling and signing books.

I walked past him..looked at my friend and said "who the hell is this guy"

Two months later I bought the book with extra b-day cash. Then I realized I could have had a signed copy.

That was my first experience with Terry. He got a huge laugh when I first told him that story.
    omg! wow. if by fate I ever meet you thats the first thing I'm going to say.
    shadowsiren
    shadowsiren

Post by shadowsiren Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 am

In 9th grade I'd already devoured pretty much every book in my tiny school library when WFR showed up on the shelf one day. I didn't even look at the title, cover, nothing. I got it simply because it was "new" (in quotations because this was 2003) and it was big. Didn't get around to starting it for a week and when it finally did I couldn't put it down. I distinctly remember reading it under my desk during Algebra and very openly during Biology after finishing a test... my bio teacher even made some comment about it being larger than the assigned textbook. I was at a pretty low point in my life and it was a lifeline that appeared out of the dark. Found the forums in 2006 and joined. Met my husband on the old PI. We've been married for almost 6 years now and have 3 kids.
    Sometimes I look back at my sad, depressed, stressed out 15 year old self who picked up the book for the sole purpose of having something to read and can't believe that such a little thing directed the course of the rest of my life and led me to everyone I love most.
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:30 am

Got a gift card for B&N for my birthday was wandering around trying to decide what to buy. I was in the bargain section and honestly the dragon is what caught my eye. At the time I was really into the Belgariad and wanted something else fantasy and BIG. But it sat in my closet for about a year before I picked it up. I loved it so much I passed it around to all of my friends and immediately went out and bought the rest of the books in the series (only up to TotW at the time). Loved them ever since, but I've kind of fallen out of love after Confessor. I'll still read them all, but I don't know if I'll buy another (although I did buy First Confessor).
    Ambrosia
    Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 pm

I was a wee lass of but 7 years old, when a friend of my mother left the book behind.
    I saw the beautiful cover, and was drawn in.
    Arcea-Drakkarre
    Arcea-Drakkarre

Post by Arcea-Drakkarre Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:41 am

My uncle had a box of extra books he was getting rid of when I was about eight years old, so he gave it to my brother. Most of the books were short sci-fi, and I definitely wasn't into short books or sci-fi back then. Looking through them I saw the cover of WFR and was interested due to it being fantasy. SoT and BotF were in the box as well. I began reading and fell in love with the writing style, story, characters, and most especially the philosophy and life principles and lessons inherent to the series. After reading the first three I checked each one out from the library religiously, as soon as they were available. During my early teen years I read the series over and over - SoT being my favorite, I even remember in sixth grade realizing that I had read SoT 16 times that year and was halfway through it again (this is in addition to many other books I was reading). When FotF came out it became my favorite. The books raised me on a philosophical and humanities level more than any other source. They taught me invaluable lessons and were more of a support and parent to me than my own were. And of course, when I was depressed and looking for some new direction, I discovered PI and it changed my life. PI was my haven and escape, and for the first time in my life I was a valued and appreciated member of a community - and even better, it was a community of intelligent, like-minded people who shared the same values I did and brought valuable insight into my life. For the first time I felt support, compassion and comradery. I gained many friends (still have quite a few), and was even engaged to a member for a while. Since my chatty shenanigans were a nuisance to Zedd, I created a new website strictly for those extracurricular threads filled with thousands of silly, fun, interesting, chatty posts. That site lived for a few years, topping over 300,000 posts in its lifespan. It slowly died, and I haven't been on it in several years. Now I'm here, and hoping this new PI will grow, flourish, and be a haven for those who need it.
    Confessor Kahlan
    Confessor Kahlan

Location : On a small, rocky planet hurtling through the suburbs of a barred spiral galaxy

Post by Confessor Kahlan Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I was in a local bookshop about 8 or 9 years ago and picked up Soul of the Fire not realising at the time it was part of a series. I read it and enjoyed it so I decided to buy the rest of the books and read them from the beginning.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:42 am