Prophets Inc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Thoughts on Death's Mistriss

alvspr
    alvspr

Thoughts on Death's Mistriss Empty Thoughts on Death's Mistriss

Post by alvspr Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:54 am

So what did we all think?
    rainshadow
    rainshadow
    Admin

Thoughts on Death's Mistriss Empty Re: Thoughts on Death's Mistriss

Post by rainshadow Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:49 pm

It was thin, but overall I enjoyed it. The depth that Goodkind is known for weaving into his plots isn't really there. Basically a sequence of events lacking any meat happens.

I suspect that more meaning will be added to the story in future installments. I felt Omen Machine probably suffered similar pitfalls but then the plot really re-established itself in subsequent books (about half way through The Third Kingdom I felt like I was finally reading Goodkind-esque depth once again, with both Severed Souls and Warheart both delivering multiple mammoth punches to the gut, with intensity that had been missing in Terry's writing after the Chainfire trilogy). Nicci's story needs to have similar revelations in the near future. If the future is as flat as Death's Mistress was (and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Death's Mistress as an easy way to pass the time) then her story is going to be pretty boring.

Last edited by rainshadow on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    alvspr
    alvspr

Post by alvspr Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:23 am

Oh your memory can't be that bad rainshadow - it is Chainfire trilogy.

Death's Mistress is probably my least favourite Terry novel. The series has ended twice now - first with Confessor then with Warheart. Three if you count Law of Nines. I know this is supposed to be separate from all of that but it's just getting a bit tired. How many times can some new evil rear it's ugly head.

Don't get me wrong - I have always said that I will read Terry's notes written on a napkin while having lunch. I'll read anything he puts out and I most certainly will read The Shroud of Eternity when it comes out. I just felt this book was quite average.

You might be right Rainshadow, maybe the subsequent books will have more flavour to them.
    rainshadow
    rainshadow
    Admin

Post by rainshadow Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:50 am

Chainheart? Where the hell did I get that? I was thinking Chainfire when I wrote the post. I might have been tired, maybe combined Chairfire with Warheart or something. But I DIDN'T intend to write Chainheart... I promise. LOL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm