Prophets Inc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Theory Post ****Spoilers**** Have we been given another WFR

aammondd
    aammondd

Theory Post  ****Spoilers**** Have we been given another WFR  Empty Theory Post ****Spoilers**** Have we been given another WFR

Post by aammondd Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29 am

Im so glad PI is back and we have a new book with mysteries. Theory posts were one of my favorite things back then.

I will first admit that I havent read the whole book yet. (Only half way through.) Something about this book makes me think the story we have always been told is not the whole truth. I think that the concept of the Keeper is something that has always bothered me. The more we hear of the underworld and the more we learn about the Grace and magic as a whole, Im beginning to think that the Keeper, if there is actually such a thing, is actually an entity from the world of life and the Keeper we have been presented with in the books is actually the Emporer from The First Confessor.

In fact the Emperor's spiritualist from the book is Naja Moon, very probably the same Naja who writes the account of the creation of the "North Wall" and the creation of Samantha's people and their "duty". In TFC she mentions that he would be the embodiment of the Keeper with power over both the underworld and the world of life. Another thing to consider is that the spells that Isadore uses to control the walking dead are called keeper spells. they are also something that Naja mentions in the creation of the Third Kingdom barrier.

I also have some thoughts about a possible connection between The Omen Machine, Language of Creation, Prophesy, and Starshift.

My main thought on starshift has to do with the idea that Terry keeps presenting about calculations being integral to magic. It was critical to creating the confessors and the Sword of Truth. What if these calculations are built on the precision of the stars kind of like how people navigate the sea by the stars. What if one of those vital stars were to go out how long would the knowledge its position in the sky and all related calculations survive? Remember that the Rift calculations were essential because they predated the starshift.

I'm also thinking that the use to which Richard put the SOT and the Boxes of Orden may not have been everything they were intended for.

I'm beginning to think that Terry is going to turn all we know of SOT today on its head.

Now one thing more to consider if the Keeper is so prominent in the underworld why is he not represented on the Grace?

Just some thoughts to noodle on.

aammondd
    aammondd

Theory Post  ****Spoilers**** Have we been given another WFR  Empty Re: Theory Post ****Spoilers**** Have we been given another WFR

Post by aammondd Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Having thought some more on this and read a fair amount more. I'm more and more convinced Terry is moving us toward breaking down the myths around the creator and the keeper. I cant put my finger on the exact point where this idea started to creep into my head but Ive always felt that Terry uses his stories to prove a point. Remember that Richard never took stock in Spirits or Religion and still does not even though he has seen the reality of life after death. The use of the creator and keeper are too easy to assume are metaphor's for God and the Devil. However you have to remember who Terry is. Who Richard (his hero) is. Terry's Objectivist influenced philosophy rejects and interventionist God thus the Creator is only seen as powering creation and that light of creation extends through the world of life and on to eternity.

In this book Terry also describes existence in the underworld and its timeless nature making "rule" in the underworld a meaningless thing. He also introduces this concept of Occult powers which are different than the Gift. These powers seem to be able to transcend the underworld to the point of being able to prevent a soul from entering the underworld something that, based on the Grace and what we think we know, should be impossible. We also see people without souls. Which gives rise to even more questions about the nature of LIFE in this world.

We also know that Starshift is an important event in this world. Richard is the Seeker of Truth Im finding it hard to believe that defeat of the IO was the real extent of his "mission" just as he revealed the truth about the BOCS I think there are even larger truths to unfold even more fundamental to the nature of the world of the SOT. I would not be surprised to learn that the Great War is part of an even older struggle which had been lost to the annuls of time wherein creation of all things (including the underworld) and all that is assumed to be in this world originated. And its orgin is nothing that we expect.
    alvspr
    alvspr

Theory Post  ****Spoilers**** Have we been given another WFR  Empty Re: Theory Post ****Spoilers**** Have we been given another WFR

Post by alvspr Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:03 pm

I just finished the book last night and I'm still digesting it.

You have an interesting take on the Keeper and while I can't discount it at this stage, i'm still thinking it through but something about what you say doesn't sit right. I'm going to have to reread The First Confessor again.

But for all I know, you're spot on. Only time will tell.

And damn Terry for that ending!!!!
    aammondd
    aammondd

Post by aammondd Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:14 pm

I might have to modify my theory a bit but it wouldnt surprise me that the emperor had been manipulating Darkent Rahl and others from the underworld this entire time even posing as the keeper in some ways.

It has never made sense to me that the keeper would want to destroy the world of life. If you have an infinite and eternal domain why would you even care about this small insignificant spec. Not to mention that the World of Life is continually feeding you new subjects if you destroy it then there is no more new spirits.
    rainshadow
    rainshadow
    Admin

Post by rainshadow Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:27 pm

I just wrapped it up last night, and while the first half of the book was about as slow and boring as any Terry novel to date, the second half was EVERYTHING I expect from the world of Richard Rahl. I like where your mind is heading on the Sulachan theories. Not going to say if I think it's accurate or not, but it's certainly given us food for thought. Smile
    alvspr
    alvspr

Post by alvspr Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 pm

I agree - the first half was a bit slow but by god the second half was Fan-bloody-tastic.

And like I said before - DAMN Terry for that ending.
    rainshadow
    rainshadow
    Admin

Post by rainshadow Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 pm

It won't be much longer until the next installment. At least Terry gives us a new fix every once in awhile, instead of having to wait years between books like it is with Martin and Rothfuss.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:13 am