Prophets Inc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Renya
Musikaman
Ckyle7
7 posters

Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin

Ckyle7
    Ckyle7
    Admin

Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin Empty Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin

Post by Ckyle7 Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:10 am

What is your opinion of the series? Please be wary, I have only gotten to the end of Book 2 so no spoilers please!!! (Put stars and SPOILERS in capitals before you post, if you really need to!)

I have friends who are further in front than me and they tell me that their interest tapers off after Book 3....

Oh, P.S. I'm up to date on all the seasons thanks to HBO....
    Musikaman
    Musikaman

Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin Empty Re: Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin

Post by Musikaman Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:44 am

I love HBO for bringing the Red Wedding to the masses. I was literally bouncing up and down with glee for two days each time a wail of terror popped up on my FB wall. Very Happy

They do taper off, a bit, but it's not unusual for this to happen in a book series. Usually they turn around.
    Renya
    Renya

Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin Empty Re: Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin

Post by Renya Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:56 am

Ckyle7 wrote:

I have friends who are further in front than me and they tell me that their interest tapers off after Book 3....
    Without giving away too much info.. There are new characters introduced in book four and we don't get to hear from some of the 'main' characters we've been following up till now so I think a lot of people are all like ''ugh, who are these people? I want to know what happened next with (won't say Razz)'.

Also, book three is a hard act to follow because soooo much happens, I am assuming if you are up to date with the TV series that you are already aware of The red wedding? If not just ignore the last bit of my post and don't ak me any more questions !!! Very Happy

Anyway, I love ASOFAI, will say without a doubt it's my favourite 'fantasy' series... EVER..well to date anyway, although there were parts of 'A Dance With Dragons' (book 5) that kinda pissed me off, mainly time wasting within the chapters of one particular character, I'm sure it all had it's purpose but I just couldn't figure out what that was. Oh if you like this series and get finished up and are feeling withdrawl symptoms waiting for the next installment, check out George RR Martins Dunk and Egg short stories (The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight) They take place about 100 years before ASOFAI is set, I've read the first two of them so far and just waiting to get my hands on the third one from the Library.

So yeah, brilliant stuff , big thumbs up from me :)Ouuu maybe we could have a few more threads dedicated to each book individually complete with BIG SPOILER tags so they could be discussed without fear of spoiling stuff? or maybe there aren't enough folks on here who are THAT into the series? I dunno

Last edited by Renya on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    Renya
    Renya

Post by Renya Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

Musikaman wrote:I love HBO for bringing the Red Wedding to the masses. I was literally bouncing up and down with glee for two days each time a wail of terror popped up on my FB wall. Very Happy
    Me too XD
    aammondd
    aammondd

Post by aammondd Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:05 pm

I have all the books in HB one signed I like the series (though the gratuitious sex more the reason why I dont watch the show. I like many of the characters and just will continue to read to see where all of Martin's meandering is taking us.
    Linayus
    Linayus

Post by Linayus Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:41 pm

aammondd wrote:I have all the books in HB one signed I like the series (though the gratuitious sex more the reason why I dont watch the show. I like many of the characters and just will continue to read to see where all of Martin's meandering is taking us.
    The sex actually tapers off in the show a lot. There's still a bit but nothing like the first season, or even the second.

As for the books, I love them. The 4th/5th books are slow just because it's the same timeline so it feels very drawn out. But otherwise I love the series! I just hope the ending doesn't leave us all with a bad taste in our mouth.
    Ckyle7
    Ckyle7
    Admin

Post by Ckyle7 Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:56 am

Musikaman wrote:I love HBO for bringing the Red Wedding to the masses. I was literally bouncing up and down with glee for two days each time a wail of terror popped up on my FB wall. Very Happy

They do taper off, a bit, but it's not unusual for this to happen in a book series. Usually they turn around.
    The Red Wedding blew my mind! Just, BLEW my mind!!! Like you said, everyone tapers off, if I can just find the time and motivation, I shall definitely pick it up, next chance I have!
    Renya wrote:
    Ckyle7 wrote:

Without giving away too much info.. There are new characters introduced in book four and we don't get to hear from some of the 'main' characters we've been following up till now so I think a lot of people are all like ''ugh, who are these people? I want to know what happened next with (won't say Razz)'.

Also, book three is a hard act to follow because soooo much happens, I am assuming if you are up to date with the TV series that you are already aware of The red wedding? If not just ignore the last bit of my post and don't ak me any more questions !!! Very Happy

Anyway, I love ASOFAI, will say without a doubt it's my favourite 'fantasy' series... EVER..well to date anyway, although there were parts of 'A Dance With Dragons' (book 5) that kinda pissed me off, mainly time wasting within the chapters of one particular character, I'm sure it all had it's purpose but I just couldn't figure out what that was. Oh if you like this series and get finished up and are feeling withdrawl symptoms waiting for the next installment, check out George RR Martins Dunk and Egg short stories (The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight) They take place about 100 years before ASOFAI is set, I've read the first two of them so far and just waiting to get my hands on the third one from the Library.

So yeah, brilliant stuff , big thumbs up from me :)Ouuu maybe we could have a few more threads dedicated to each book individually complete with BIG SPOILER tags so they could be discussed without fear of spoiling stuff? or maybe there aren't enough folks on here who are THAT into the series? I dunno
    Yeah, that new character thing gets to me too but if you want to make some threads about this series, please go ahead!! I don't mind reading about what I've seen, even though I haven't read it and I would certainly post in threads that want to banter about the story. I just don't have enough knowledge to start my own....
    aammondd wrote:I have all the books in HB one signed I like the series (though the gratuitious sex more the reason why I dont watch the show. I like many of the characters and just will continue to read to see where all of Martin's meandering is taking us.
    I can't speak for the scenes beyond what I have seen or read but in my opinion, all the sex and violence I have experienced has, for character or plot development, been quite relevant. It helps make us feel, I guess.
    Linayus wrote:
    The sex actually tapers off in the show a lot. There's still a bit but nothing like the first season, or even the second.

As for the books, I love them. The 4th/5th books are slow just because it's the same timeline so it feels very drawn out. But otherwise I love the series! I just hope the ending doesn't leave us all with a bad taste in our mouth.
    Okay, I really need to pick this series back up!
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:30 am

I'm the weirdo who actually doesn't like this series. I read the first book, and it was intruiging, but I really need someone in the story I can root for, and these books didn't really give me that. It seems flighty, but while reading the 2nd book seeing the C word a couple of times in one chapter made me decide to just quit.

However, I definitely can see how its really enthralled people.
    Renya
    Renya

Post by Renya Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:45 pm

_-Scarlett-_ wrote:I'm the weirdo who actually doesn't like this series.  I read the first book, and it was intruiging, but I really need someone in the story I can root for, and these books didn't really give me that.  It seems flighty, but while reading the 2nd book seeing the C word a couple of times in one chapter made me decide to just quit.

Thread Killer !!! Razz
    _-Scarlett-_
    _-Scarlett-_

Post by _-Scarlett-_ Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:54 am

Oops.
    Dinwar

Post by Dinwar Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:13 pm

_-Scarlett-_ wrote:I'm the weirdo who actually doesn't like this series.  I read the first book, and it was intruiging, but I really need someone in the story I can root for, and these books didn't really give me that.  It seems flighty, but while reading the 2nd book seeing the C word a couple of times in one chapter made me decide to just quit.

I agree. I can see how the first few intrigue people. The idea is fantastic--show the story from all sides, and let the reader sort out who the good guys are! Unfortunately, the author fails to deliver. GRRM obviously has characters he's decided are the "good guys", and it's frankly impossible to root for anyone else. Name one person who isn't rooty for Tyrion (I doubt I'm giving anything away here--it's obvious from the start, after all).

I've got a lot of other reasons to dislike it, but won't go into them. I don't want to detract from those who enjoy it (this isn't Westeros Wink ). I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
    Ckyle7
    Ckyle7
    Admin

Post by Ckyle7 Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 pm

I will see it through, either way. Once I commit to a series, I HAVE to stick it out haha. But thanks for all the differeing viewpoints, people!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:19 pm